This list contains resources for people in – or interested in – the video game industry. Here you’ll find general and specific news resources, career resources, and more. Feel free to make suggestions for any additions.
Aggregators gather news from a variety of sources. They’re invaluable for getting good information.
- Gametab – News aggregator combining many sources and filtering options.
- Virgin Worlds – News aggregation, blogs, and more on MMOs.
These sites are general news sites that are useful for keeping up on game news and related information. Some also include a career focus.
- Computer And Videogames
- Escapist Magazine
- Evil Avatar
- Edge Magazine – The website of Edge Magazine, with game reviews, news, information, videos, and more. Also includes career and industry information.
- N4G – News on gaming, from platform news to generalinformation, to the industry and careers
Specialized News And Subjects:
- Adventuregamers – A game site focused on adventure games.
- Alternate Reality Gaming Network – A site about Alternate Reality Games, an often ignored subset of games.
- Inside Social Games – Social game news and analysis
- RPGamer – RPG-focused news, reviews, and game information.
- Waragmer – A general site on wargames, from reviews to columns and more.
These sites provide general and specific career information.
- GamaSutra – Game industry news, features, articles, and resources. Must-visit for came careerists
- Game Career Guide – Career resources for people interested in or in the game industry.
- Game Dev Map – A worldwide map to help you pinpoint game-industry-intensive locations.
- Games Industry Biz – News, features, jobs and more for game professionals.
- Video Game Tester Hub – One of the rare sites for video game testers out there.
Sites and blogs that focus on career-specific areas of gaming.
- Animation Arena – An animation-oriented website that covers all kinds of animation, but includes a subsection on games.
- Game Artist – Forums for discussion among those working in game art.
- Game Artisans – A community for game artists.
- Lost Garden – A blog on art, game design, and the art of game design itself, with some very in-depth analyses.
- The Jon Jones – Not the Martian Manhunter, but an artist who discusses game art, and art in general.
- A Game Design Blog – Games and development, ranging from tutorials to analysis from Robert Hale.
- Applied Game Design – Brenda Brathwaite and guests discuss game design.
- Brian Shurtleff – Brian Shurtleff blogs on game design and more, covering theory, review, opinion, and history.
- Designer Notes – A blog on game design. Updated intermittently, often in-depth.
- Eldergame – MMO games,theory, and analysis
- Game Design Aspect – Serious thought on game design and what it means.
- Game Dev Blog – Discussions of design and related things from Jamie Fristrom.
- Indigo Static – Game design, game flow, player buy-in, and more analyzed.
- Mike Darga – Analysis of game designs, techniques, markets, and more from an experienced professional
- My Game Studies – Aki Järvinen analyzes games and design in-depth.
- Psychochild – Games, careers, interesting news, and breaking-in advice.
- Raph Koster – Design, theory, and more.
- Screen Play – Discussion of design and design process, including the development of internal processes.
- Sirlin.Net – A blog on game design and more, including more than video games. Broad coverage. Has forum community.
- T-Machine – A blog of game design, technology, theory, and predictions, with business-savvy analysis.
- Teaching Game Design – A blog on game design, technique, and process. Contains some in-depth analyses and advice.
- Zen of Design – Damion Schublert’s blog on game design and his advice.
- Devmaster – A site dedicated to serious game development and developer careers. A heavy focus on technology.
- Emanuele Feronato’s Blog – A serious blog on professional gaming issues.
- GameDev – A community and resource for game developers, providing a wide variety of supporting tools and information.
- Game Dev Blog – Jamie Fristrom discusses wide-ranging topics on games and game development.
- Magical Wasteland – Writer and Indie Game Dev Matthew Burns’ blog on games and their developments.
- Notes On Game Dev – Game development blog supported by a variety of guest authors, focusing onmultiple subjects.
- Worch.Com – Matthias Worch discusses game design as well as his own life.
- C0de517e – Serious graphic discussion from a render engineer.
- Diary of a Graphics Programmer – A graphics programmer talks about his job, experience, projects, and ideas. This includes extremely technical discussions
- Graphic Rants – Discussions of graphics in games and more, from Lead Graphics programmer Brian Karis.
- Real Time Rendering – Based around a book, the blog contains a variety of related information, from reccomended links to talk on conferences.
- Sander Van Rossen – Discussion of graphics and art in a friendly, open manner.
Production and Management:
If you do production or management in gaming, you’ll also want to check out other resources outside of the industry such as those on agile development, project management, and more.
- Agile Game Development – The blog of Clinton Keith, who specializes in teaching and writing about Agile Management in game development. Steve took one of his classes and was very impressed.
- GameProducer.Net – Analyses, predictions, and thoughts on game production, along with other related advice.
Technology – Artificial Intelligence:
- AI Game Dev – A site and community for people developing game AI
- Game/AI – AI development, as well as posts on other relevant issues.
Technology – Flash
- 8 Bit Rocket – A site focusing mostly on flash and silverlight, with a tendancy to retrogaming. Also has tutorials
- Freelance Flash Games – A site for Flash game design and programming with a great deal of well-organized information
- Ian Lobb – A blog on flash programming, mixed with reviews, thoughts, and reminces on gaming.
- Michael James Williams – A website on Flash game design, including tutorials and more.
Indie Games and Game Development:
- Games From Within – A site focused on indie iPhone development.
- Indie Games – Indie game news, reviews, jobs, and more
- Play This Thing – Indie game ideas, reviews, and thoughts
GAMES, DISCUSSION, THEORY, AND ANALYSIS:
General Game Discussion:
General websites, mostly blogs, that discuss gaming, game information, theory, and more. These vary widely in subject matter.
- Brainy Gamer – Games, theory, analysis, reviews, and much more. Provides interesting insight on games and gameplay.
- Brett’s Footnotes – General thoughts on gaming and media.
- Cathode Tan – Broad and deep analysis of many aspects of gaming, game design, and the game industry.
- Digital Life – A blog on games, trends, and more, from australia.
- Fidgit – SyFy’s game-oriented blog/site. Includes some news, analysis, and more.
- Planet Romero – John Romero discusses various aspects of gaming, from classic games to current games, theory to amusing trivia, in-depth technology to art.
- Reality Panic – Games, economics, and the blogger’s love of travel.
- Tobolds – Reviews, commentary, theory on MMOs.
- Trent Polack’s Blog – A blog on game design, analysis, and more
- Warren Spector’s Blog – The blog of the famous game pro.
Academic discussion, study, and analysis of games.
- FreePixel – Games as part of “moving image” culture – movies, etc.
- Game Studies – Site of a journal to discuss and study games.
- GamePlayWright – Thoughts and posts on games, writing and game theory.
- Virtual Cultures – Virtual worlds, games, and more.
- Virtual Learning Worlds – Barton Purse analyses games, trends, and issues.
Business and Economics:
- Game Tycoon – Observations, news, and analysis with a businesslike focus
- Virtual Economy Research Network – A serious blog and serious research on the economics of virtual economies
- Armchair Arcade – Game and computer history
- Nerfbat – MMO theory, analysis, and more
- MMORPG.COM – MMO information, news, thoughts, reviews, and community. A great place for your MMO needs.
- Terra Nova – A blog about MMOs, design, and their future.
- What MMORPG? – A blog of both bite-sized reviews with a large database, and MMO analysis.
Law and Politics:
- Gamepolitics – News on games in the news, politics, and law.
- Above 49 – A game developer living in Canada (thus the blog title) analyzes games, the industry, and game theory.
- Grand Text Auto – Game theory, especially focused on stories.
- Ludologist – Jesper Jul’s serious and in-depth blog on game theores.
- Only A Game – Chris Bateman’s blog on game design and theory, often going extremely deep into issues like aesthetics.
- Project Perko – Blog on game and game theory with an extensive archive
- Words On Play – Game theory, espeically stories.
- Nintendo World Report – A site focused exlucively on nintendo game products.
- PlayStation Universe – A site focused exclusively on the world of Playstation products.
- Rock, Paper, Shotgun – A general site focused on PC games, covering a variety of topics. A part-time project of several game journalists.
- XBOX365 – A site focused exclusively on the xbox.
MULTIMEDIA GAMING AND COMMUNITY SITES:
These sites focus on games and beyond – such as movies, comics, and communities. Some are independent, some are commercial ventures, and many contain various media (such as previews)